This is my daughter Abigail, with her 2-year-old son Gabriel and 6-week-old daughter Lucy. My grandchildren. Was ever a word so apt? Grandchildren. These two little tykes have taught me the most profound lesson in my life-to-date: they are the reason I’m here on this earth.
Cliche? Yes. Over-the-top sentiment? Absolutely. Never did I imagine these hackneyed terms would apply to me! I always thought it would be fun to watch my children if they became parents, however, this generational connection stirring in my soul has caught me by surprise:
- I find myself whispering words of wisdom into their ears.
- My inner child (it’s OK to groan here) behaves with utter abandon, yet…
- My hard-fought-for skills of diplomacy and restraint seem effortless.
- I have never felt better about forging my own trail on my own terms.
- I am compelled to continue growing, to be my best self for them.
My twice-daily-ritual, morning and night, is to recall everything I am grateful for. Gabriel and Lucy have given me the gift of a generational lens, through which the love in my life has multiplied a thousandfold. I am so thankful.
And that’s what it’s all about. For me.